iFixit's staff is the focal point of a global community showing people how to fix the things they own. We believe that we can make the world better by empowering people to take control of their hardware.
We are the world's foremost experts on Apple repair, and we've set the gold-standard for online repair documentation. We have already helped millions of people fix their own devices, and we plan to help tens of millions more.
We're looking for a technical writer/tinkerer to join in our repair effort by creating unparalleled teardowns and repair guides for electronics, cars, appliances, and just about anything else. The ideal candidate is technically oriented, has a passion for succinct communication, loves to take things apart, and fixes all their friends' stuff.
As the ideal candidate, you should:
- Enjoy tinkering and fixing! You probably have a toolbox at home or in your car, and while you love having the right tool for the job, you've made-do on more than one occasion.
- Have above-average mechanical and/or electrical aptitude. You don't need to be an EE, but a basic understanding of PCB design, integrated circuits, and experience reading datasheets goes a long way.
- Keep up with news about new consumer electronics devices and manufacturers.
- Enjoy working with people and communicating precisely and accurately. You should know the difference between precision and accuracy.
- Have impeccable grammar, and an innate sense of what sounds good. Your innate sense should match ours, because we're right.
- Feel compelled to combine creativity with pragmatism in your photography and writing.
This position is available immediately at our downtown San Luis Obispo office. Remote opportunities are not available for this position. Apple industry experience is not necessary, neither is any specific degree.
We're currently only looking for part-time applicants for this position. Students will be expected to work part-time during the school year and full-time over the summer.
To apply: Send us a PDF of your resume as well as a PDF cover letter explaining two things: why you're badass, and why you're the ideal candidate for this job.